Thanks to Grant funding through the Community Foundation of Southern Indiana and a matching donation from an anonymous local business owner, The City of Jeffersonville is excited to offer free street trees for the neighborhoods east of Downtown. Through this distribution, forty trees will be made available on a first-come-first served basis to residents in the area bounded by Spring Street, 10th Street, French/Graham Street, and the Ohio River (see map below). The trees offered will be similar in size to trees the City planted on the west side of Locust Street between Chestnut and Market St. earlier this year. Over time these trees will help shade the local sidewalks for folks walking to and from Downtown area businesses. These trees will also help complement a formal “Tree Walk” that Jeffersonville’s Urban Enterprise Zone will be implementing in the area in the next few years.
The Map below shows the distribution area
If you are a property owner in the distribution area and would like a tree, please click on the link to our application form below.
A few details:
- All trees must be planted within the “tree lawn” between the sidewalk and curb or, in cases where the tree lawn is non-existent or less than 4 feet deep (from sidewalk to curb) within 5-7 feet of the sidewalk in the property owner’s front or side yard (if on a corner).
- All applicant sites will be reviewed by City Staff for appropriate planting locations including spacing between existing trees (new trees should be located at least 25-30 feet from other existing trees fro best growth potential)
- Due to the limited number of trees, we are only offering one tree per property. In the event that there are more trees available than applicants and our site review has noted room for more trees, we may contact you with the option to plant an additional tree.
- All trees must be picked up for planting on Saturday, April 8 between 9am and 1pm at 1049 Mechanic St.
- Property owners will be responsible for calling 811 for utility locates prior to planting
- Applications must be received by February 21, 2017
For the official application, please click here: 2017 Application Form
We are excited to offer this opportunity to increase the tree canopy in the Downtown area and hope that this program is a test case for larger City-wide distributions in the future.
For further information please contact: