The City of Jeffersonville unveiled The Wall of Champions to honor more than 50 Jeffersonville natives, current and former residents who have left their mark on the city through their service, philanthropic or athletic endeavors and community spirit.
“These are people we are proud to claim as Champions in Jeffersonville’s history,” said Jeffersonville Mayor Mike Moore. The project is funded by the Redevelopment Commission and was approved by the Jeffersonville Public Arts Commission over a year ago.
This is just the first installment of honorees for the Wall of Champions. The city has already started gathering photos and information on the next round of honorees and space on the wall has been intentionally left unfilled so other Champions can be honored in the future.
“This Wall of Champions has been in the works for a while,” Moore said. “It has been carried out in the spirit of the community. We hope today is the beginning of a tradition in Jeffersonville that allows us to recognize and honor residents who have accomplished amazing things, entertained us and found a way into our homes, our hearts and our memories for whatever reason.”
Those honored on the wall were chosen by a group comprised of former City of Jeffersonville Public Works Director Rick Lovan, Parks and Recreation Director Paul Northam, Street Commissioner and retired firefighter Clark Miles. Based on their knowledge of the city and through their contacts, the group developed a list of potential honorees for the wall. The group also solicited recommendations from other community leaders and historians.
The first installment of honorees includes:
- The 1993 Jeffersonville High School Boys’ State Championship basketball team
- The 2011 Jeffersonville High School Girls’ State Championship basketball team
- 2008 Jeff/GRC Little League World Series team
- Ned Pfau – local businessman, community leader and philanthropist
- Jeff Frey – former Jeffersonville High School basketball player and longtime Jeffersonville business owner
- Dale Orem – former Jeffersonville mayor, businessman, Jeffersonville High School and University of Louisville athletic stand out.
- The Sedwick sisters – (Tonya, Pam and Jackie) Jeffersonville High School track stars
- Ben Hesen – Championship swimmer from Jeffersonville High School and Indiana University.
- Mike Flynn – former Jeffersonville High School basketball standout
- John Schnatter – Papa John’s founder
- Jonas Ingram – Medal of Honor recipient
- Perry Wilkes — Medal of Honor recipient
- Sara Nord – Former JHS basketball star, Indiana Miss Basketball and U of L Hall of Fame member
- Richard Vissing – former Jeffersonville mayor
- Tony Winburn – former Jeffersonville High School basketball standout
- Walt Terrell – former Major League Baseball player and Jeffersonville High School baseball star