Frequently Asked Questions

To report an ordinance violation to the Building Department, call or email Kailey Coursey at 812-285-6407 and  opens in a new or Bing Lovan at 812-280-4700 and  opens in a new

Ordinance Violation Issues include:

  • Grass Taller than 9”
  • Overgrowth that impedes onto the sidewalk or blocks traffic view
  • Inoperable unlicensed vehicles being stored on property
  • Vehicles parked on grass
  • Commercial vehicles stored in a residential zone
  • Recreational vehicles parked so that they project past the front of the home
  • Trash or garbage containers left upon the sidewalk, the area between a street and sidewalk or the front yard, except for trash and garbage collection purposes
  • General maintenance: The exterior of a structure shall be maintained in good repair, structurally sound and sanitary so as not to pose a threat to the public health, safety or welfare
  • Unsecured vacant structures
  • Outdoor storage of boxes, appliances, household items, tires or accumulation of trash

For more information, please visit the Building Page

Trash cans must be on wheels, have hinged lids and be capable of being picked up mechanically. The Sanitation Department sells this type of can for $75 each, which is the city’s cost to purchase the cans from the manufacturer. Similar cans are also available for purchase from private-sector retailers. Email Debbie Gardner – – to order a new trash receptacle.

Visit our Sanitation Page for more information

Please visit the Building Department Page and in the left hand sidebar, you’ll find a list of all the permit applications.
If you’re looking for a place for your next event, you can take a tour of our parks facilities and learn more about amenities on our website,
For more information you can call the Parks Department at 812-285-6440opens phone dialer or send an email to

Visit the Floodplain Page for Information.

Payments are due to the Utility Billing Office on the 10th day of each month. Payments may be by cash, check or money order, credit/debit card or sewer customers may opt to enroll in electronic funds transfer.

Click to pay your bill online with a credit/debit card.

We accept credit and debit cards, Visa, Mastercard, Discover, American Express, as well as electronic checks.

You can drop off payments in our office on the first floor of City Hall, 500 Quartermaster Court, Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

You can pay your bill after regular business hours by dropping off your payment in either of our two drop boxes. Drop boxes are located: (1) To the left of the front doors at City Hall and (2) Behind City Hall, in the driveway leading to Twelfth Street.

Mail payments to:
Jeffersonville Wastewater Department
PO Box 1588
Jeffersonville, IN 47131

Call Toll Free at 844-903-0256 to pay your bill over the phone using a credit/debit card.

  • NOTE: There will be a $2.50 convenience fee added to credit/debit card transactions. 

If you want to sign up to have your sewer bill payment made through Electronic Funds Transfer, download the ETF Authorization Form.opens PDF file

Visit the Utility Billing Page for more information.

If your trash was not picked up, call the Sanitation Department at 812-285-6455 to report it. Please keep in mind, according to City Ordinance, trash must be out by 6:00 a.m. Sanitation crews do record addresses of homes that do not have their trash out. The City does not pick loose bags off the ground.

Visit the Sanitation Page for more information.
To report a stray animal in Jeffersonville, call 812-282-0071. If the animal is aggressive or injured, call the Jeffersonville Police Department and they will dispatch animal control.
To Learn More Information visit the Animal Shelter Page.

The Jeffersonville Police Records Division is open 8 a.m.- 7 p.m., Monday through Friday and is closed on weekends and public holidays. Reports are generally available to the public three business days after the report was submitted to police. There is no charge for copies of incident reports.

Copies of vehicle crash reports cost $5 each if picked up in person or $12 each if accessed online at Please note that is a third-party provider of crash reports that is owned by Open Portal Solutions (formerly Holt Sheets) of Greenwood, Indiana and utilized by law enforcement agencies such as the Jeffersonville Police Department and Indiana State Police.

For more information visit the Police Page.

How do I start a business in the City? 

If you are opening a new business, relocating an existing business, or starting a home-based business in the City of Jeffersonville, you will need to submit a Certificate of Zoning Compliance to the Department of Planning & Zoning for review and approval. There is a $50 fee associated with this Certificate. The application form can be found at under “Miscellaneous Applications.” The certificate serves as proof that your location is properly zoned for your business.  

The Certificate is good for as long as you operate your business in the location stated in the application: No additional City-issued business licenses are required. 

Further Resources: 

Home-Based Businesses – The rules and regulations for home-based businesses can be found here: opens in a new windowHome Occupationopens pdf file. Generally speaking businesses that fall under the Home Occupation 1 category are allowed in all residentially zoned areas; businesses that fall into Home Occupation 2 category need a special exception from the Board of Zoning Appeals. Home-based day care is allowed in any zone district that allows for residential use.  

Note: These rules do not apply to use of part of your home as an office for a business physically located elsewhere.  

Mobile Vendors/Food Trucks/Seasonal Sales/Door to Door Sales: – These businesses have special rules and require a permit and background check from the Department of Planning and Zoning. The application form can be found at under “Miscellaneous Applications.” 

Building a new building? – Here’s a link to a summary guide to building a new building in Jeffersonville: opens in a new windowBuilding and Development Summaryopens pdf file

Additional Links: 

Business incentives: The Department of Economic and Redevelopment ( may have incentives for new businesses. Their page also has links to additional local resources.  

Health Department: The Clark County Health Department regulates certain types of businesses especially those that handle food. 

Comments are closed.

Close Search Window