PLANNING AND ZONING DIRECTOR
CHAD REISCHL, AICP
The City of Jeffersonville is a unique and dynamic community situated on the banks of the Ohio River. As the City continues to evolve as part of the growing Louisville Metropolitan Area, the Jeffersonville Planning & Zoning Department is committed to facilitating development and improving quality of life for community residents, business owners, and other community stakeholders. Our aim is to serve as a resource and catalyst for smart growth and development that enhances the City and ensures that Jeffersonville remains a unique and special place.
The Planning and Zoning Department actively seeks to facilitate change through long-range planning initiatives, creative place-making, strategic infrastructure improvements, and amendments to public policy. Collaborative planning with citizens, businesses, organizations and institutions is integral to our work. The Department enforces the city’s Zoning Ordinance, Comprehensive Plan, and Subdivision Control Ordinance and operates under Indiana Codes 36-7-4, 36-7-10, and 36-7-10.
The Jeffersonville Planning & Zoning Department provides staff support for the city’s Plan Commission and Board of Zoning Appeals and serves as a resource to citizens and developers who need assistance with the city’s development and zoning controls.
Latest News from the Department
2021 Top 10 List
In 2021, the Department of Planning & Zoning stayed quite busy through the pandemic. Here are the top 10 things that happened in the past year:
- UDO Adopted: In July 2021, Council Adopted the new Unified Development Ordinance which replaces the 2001 Zoning Ordinance and 1996 Subdivision Control Ordinance.
- Staff Changes: in August we said goodbye to Shelby Walsh; In November we welcomed Zachary Giuffre as our new Planning and Zoning Administrator.
- Another strong year for development: in 2021, the Plan Commission heard 23 cases, the BZA heard 71 cases, and 43 additional cases were reviewed and approved by planning staff. The total of 137 cases, was less than 2020’s record of 169 cases that year, but remarkably strong considering all the volatility in the construction market.
- Continued Growth at River Ridge: 875,000 square feet of new industrial warehouse space were permitted through the Planning Department.
- Single Family home construction soars: Staff approved plans for 275 new single-family homes this year (a record number); this equates to almost $70M of new residential construction.
- New Medical Facilities coming to Jeffersonville: Baptist Health and Norton Health both received permitting approval for urgent care centers to be constructed near the new Kroger. Construction is currently underway on both facilities.
- New Shade Trees for City Parks: Thanks to a grant from the Indiana Department of Natural Resources, staff was able to plant 47 new trees in three City Parks this year. Staff leveraged Landscape Fee-In-Lieu funds and two private donations to plant an additional 35 shade trees in City Parks and public spaces.
- Two new Bus Shelters: The Department installed two new covered bus shelters at the corner of Spring St. and Riddle St.
- Spring Street Tree Wells: Planning Staff finished a project to expand all the tree wells along Spring Street in Downtown to help remove tripping hazards and prolong the life of the street trees.
- Did we mention the UDO? In November, Council Adopted a number of minor revisions to the UDO, in order to correct a number of typos, errors, omissions, etc. in the 280+ page document. Staff hopes that these last little tweaks, help solidify the new document that will guide development in Jeffersonville for the next decade.
For a full report on our activities in 2021, here is a link to our opens in a new windowAnnual Reportopens PDF file .
Cassie Nichols – Administrative Assistant:
Phone: (812) 285-6413
Email: opens in a new firstname.lastname@example.org
Shawn Dade, AICP – Project Planner:
Phone: (812) 280-4733
Email: opens in a new windowSDade@cityofjeff.net
Zachary Giuffre – Planning & Zoning Coordinator:
Phone: (812) 280-4712
Note: Code Enforcement is now supervised by the Building Commission.
500 Quartermaster Court, Suite 200 Jeffersonville, IN 47130
Phone: (812) 285-6413 | Fax: (812) 285-6468
Hours: 8:30 AM – 4:30 PM, M-F