PLANNING AND ZONING DIRECTOR
The Planning Department office in City Hall is now open, but please note that only half our staff will be in the office at any one time. The remaining staff will continue to work remotely and be accessible via phone or email. Please contact us via phone or email if you need any assistance.
The City of Jeffersonville is a unique and dynamic community situated on the banks of the Ohio River. As the City continues to evolve as part of the growing Louisville Metropolitan Area, the Jeffersonville Planning & Zoning Department is committed to facilitating development and improving quality of life for community residents, business owners, and other community stakeholders. Our aim is to serve as a resource and catalyst for smart growth and development that enhances the City and ensures that Jeffersonville remains a unique and special place.
The Planning and Zoning Department actively seeks to facilitate change through long-range planning initiatives, creative place-making, strategic infrastructure improvements, and amendments to public policy. Collaborative planning with citizens, businesses, organizations and institutions is integral to our work. The Department enforces the city’s Zoning Ordinance, Comprehensive Plan, and Subdivision Control Ordinance and operates under Indiana Codes 36-7-4, 36-7-10, and 36-7-10.
The Jeffersonville Planning & Zoning Department provides staff support for the city’s Plan Commission and Board of Zoning Appeals and serves as a resource to citizens and developers who need assistance with the city’s development and zoning controls.
Latest News from the Department
A look back at 2020
For many of us 2020 was certainly a difficult year. Despite the pandemic, however, the City of Jeffersonville saw a number of positive developments in 2020. The following is a highlight of those developments along with a link to our 2020 Annual Report.
1. The opening of Chapel Lake Park. This new 115 acre park provides recreational open space, walking, trails, and more to a large section of Jeffersonville that, previously, had no access to parks. The Planning Department was highly involved in site selection and design of the Park.
2. The opening of Shirley’s Arbor Park. This new 14-acre park provides a recreational walking trail and fitness equipment for another area of the community that lacked local park access. It is also designed to hold stormwater and improve drainage in the area. Planning Staff worked closely with the designers of this park as well.
3. Planting 110 new trees with Louisville Grows Using money from local developers, the Jeffersonville UEZ and the Community Foundation of Southern Indiana, the Department hosted a successful tree planting day with Louisville Grows. The new trees were planted on 80+ private properties in three central Jeffersonville neighborhoods and at Lottie Oglesby Park.
4. Continued greening of Downtown Jeffersonville: In 2020, Staff continued expansion of tree wells along Spring Street for the health of existing trees (and elimination of tripping hazards). We added 5 new tree wells on or immediately adjacent to Spring St., Helped create a curbside garden for Lavender Hill, and planted additional trees at a new parking lot in the NOCO Arts and Cultural district.
5. The Depot: The latest project in the NOCO Arts & Cultural District is well under way. Construction of this new community gathering space began in 2020 will hopefully open sometime in mid-2021.
6. A banner year for new development: The Department reviewed and permitted 2.4 million square feet of commercial and industrial developments, and over 1,300 new housing units.
7. New hotels open and/or break ground: A new Fairfield Inn opened in the Bridgepoint Commons Development at Highway 62 and Gottbrath Parkway. Across Highway 62, the Hilton Garden Inn broke ground on their new hotel. Included in this project is a new, upscale, Fuzzy Zoeller branded restaurant. The opening of is expected in spring 2022. Across town, the new Holiday Inn Express at Hamburg and Veterans is nearing completion and ground has been broken for a Comfort Inn/Main Stay Suites near Spring St. and 10th.
8. New restaurants: Despite the pandemic a number of new restaurants opened their doors in Jeffersonville this year including: Chick Fil-A, Parnelli’s, Chicken Salad Chick, and 5 Guys.
9. Started work on a new Unified Development Ordinance: In June Planning Staff kicked off a full update of the Zoning Ordinance and Subdivision Control Ordinance. These documents will be combined into one Unified Development Ordinance. The Ordinance should be ready for adoption in June 2021. To learn more about the Unified Development Ordinance, Click Here.
For a more in-depth update on our work this past year, please see our 2020 Annual Report
Cassie Nichols – Admin Assistant:
Phone: (812) 285-6413
Shelby Walsh – Planning Administrator:
Phone: (812) 280-4712
Shawn Dade – Planner:
Phone: (812) 280-4733
Note: Code Enforcement is now supervised by the Building Commission, please visit their page here.
500 Quartermaster Court, Suite 200 Jeffersonville, IN 47130
Phone: (812) 285-6413 | Fax: (812) 285-6468
Hours: 8:30 AM – 4:30 PM, M-F